Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

utw3673

I am a resident of GA and get a retirement from both the Teachers retirement system of GA (2017)and the Teachers Retirement system of AL. Al is trying to tax GA income?

I have my federal return and Georgia return done.  

I have lived in GA (resident) for 12 years, but I have Teachers retirement (non-resident) in AL.  This year is the first year I have retired from Teachers retirement of GA.  For some reason the AL return is picking up the GA retirement...why?  I didn't earn it ther and don't live there.  I only do the AL return because I get Teachers retirement from there--although AL doesn't tax Teachers retirement in AL

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

I am a resident of GA and get a retirement from both the Teachers retirement system of GA (2017)and the Teachers Retirement system of AL. Al is trying to tax GA income?

You do not need to file a tax return for AL if your only source of income with any association to AL is your retirement income.

Retirement income is taxed by your resident state, not the state where you worked to earn the retirement.  It is considered to be “unearned” income and would not require you to file a non-resident return for AL.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

You do not need to file a tax return for AL if your only source of income with any association to AL is your retirement income.

Retirement income is taxed by your resident state, not the state where you worked to earn the retirement.  It is considered to be “unearned” income and would not require you to file a non-resident return for AL.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies