turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to I enter "Housing Deduction Carryover" in Turbotax and Efile. Now if enter any amount in line 49 of form 2555, Turbotax no longer lets you file. This is a bug

When going through the Turbotax on the "Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion" funnel, near the end you are prompted to enter your Foreign Housing Deduction Carryover from 2020. This year, if you enter any amount into these two fields, Turbotax will not let you e-file. Only paper file is available and it tells you that a form cannot be e-filed but doesn't specify which one.... If left blank, you can e-file just fine.

Entering data into these two fields does not create new forms. It only subtracts the two fields and enters the carryover amount into line 49 of form 2555.

Can this please be fixed? There are only a few days left and I would like to e-file. It took me 12 hours of redoing my taxes to figure out that this was the bug preventing e-filing on my account. The housing deduction carryover from 2021 should be claimed on the 2022 form 2555, so I would both like my taxes to be right and to e-file.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
hj100
Returning Member

How to I enter "Housing Deduction Carryover" in Turbotax and Efile. Now if enter any amount in line 49 of form 2555, Turbotax no longer lets you file. This is a bug

Hello

I am having the same issue.  There is zero housing carryover on Form 2555.  But the program is not allowing me to submit through e-file.  There is zero in line 49 on Form 2555!

Is there any way to fix it?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies