Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to answer PA Distribution type for 1099R ? I get a monthly payment. Box 7 is 7, box 1& 2 are the same amount, box 8 ,9, 10, 11 blank . PA were taken Box 12 .

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

How to answer PA Distribution type for 1099R ? I get a monthly payment. Box 7 is 7, box 1& 2 are the same amount, box 8 ,9, 10, 11 blank . PA were taken Box 12 .

I assume that you are in the Pennsylvania state interview in TurboTax.

On terms of answering the retirement plan screen to know if your plan is tax exempt in Pennsylvania, there are two requirements:

Some of the plans you can identify directly (like military pension) but most retirement plans you may have to do some investigation. That is, you may need to call your retirement plan and ask them if they meet the rules as described in the link above.

For most qualified retirement plans (i.e., pensions and annuities from an employer), if you are of eligible full retirement age in the plan, the pension is probably not taxable - but call them anyway.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You did not answer the question.  What type should I enter for Pennsylvania?

How to answer PA Distribution type for a 1099R in turbo tax

I received a 1099R for a UPS pension where I get a regular monthly payment.  I started receiving this pension when I was 61.  However, there are PA tax taken out.  The distribution code in box 7 is 7, the IRA/SEP box is not checked, box 1 and 2 (gross and taxable amount) are the same amount, box 8 ,9, 10, 11 are blank and there were PA taxes taken out in box12.

I'm eligible, plan's eligible (no PA tax) does not seem to be the right choice.  None of the other choices in the pull down make sense to my situation.  If I leave the question with no entry turbo tax flags it as an error. 

Choices from the pull down are:

N No entry

I31 PA School, state or municipal employee plan

I11 United Mine Workers pension

I32 Military pension

I33 U.S. Civil service retirement/disability/annuity

K1 Annuity or Non-civil service disability

I21 Early distribution from a retirement plan

I12 Rollover

I13 I’m eligible; plan is eligible (no PA tax)

I22 I’m not eligible yet; plan is eligible in PA

J1 Traditional or Roth IRA;   I’m over 59.5

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, I13 is the choice for private pensions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Mary K,

Thanks I talked to my finical adviser and he agree's with you.

oflip

good job thank you for your help

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies