Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

h22aluder

How much will I pay in tax this year? I claim 0 with 2500 return. single about 60k a year. taking out 66k this year from my 401k to purchase a new home here in Ca.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How much will I pay in tax this year? I claim 0 with 2500 return. single about 60k a year. taking out 66k this year from my 401k to purchase a new home here in Ca.

Did you already take money out of your 401k?  Please be aware that taking an early withdrawal from a 401k to buy a house is NOT an exception to the early withdrawal penalty of 10%.  There is an exception to that penalty with a traditional IRA, but NOT for a 401k.  So if you take money out of your 401k to purchase a house, you will pay a 10% early withdrawal penalty plus ordinary income tax on the distribution, based on your tax bracket.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Did you already take money out of your 401k?  Please be aware that taking an early withdrawal from a 401k to buy a house is NOT an exception to the early withdrawal penalty of 10%.  There is an exception to that penalty with a traditional IRA, but NOT for a 401k.  So if you take money out of your 401k to purchase a house, you will pay a 10% early withdrawal penalty plus ordinary income tax on the distribution, based on your tax bracket.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies