Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

crossdre

How is the social security number wrong if that’s what is on my son social security card

Every time I try to file my taxes it keep saying my son social security number is wrong but that’s what appears on his social security card

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
AnthonyJ

How is the social security number wrong if that’s what is on my son social security card

This rejection can be caused by a mismatch within the IRS database, or if the social security number was issued late in the year.

Gather the Social Security cards for each listed dependent on your return and follow the solution steps below.

1. With your return open, select My Info (on mobile devices, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner, then select File).
  2. On the Personal info summary screen, select Edit next to the dependent.
  3. Proceed to the Tell us about [dependent] screen, make any corrections, then select Continue.
    • Note: To verify your dependent's Social Security number, keep going through the interview (it's about 7 or 8 screens in).
  4. Select File in the left-hand menu (on mobile devices, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner, then select File).
  5. At the Welcome back screen, select Continue. (Do not select Fix my return, you've already done that).
  6. Follow the onscreen instructions to proceed with the filing process.

Some Helpful Tips:

• If your dependent's name has recently changed, and the new name won't go through, try their former name (or vice-versa).
  • For multiple middle names, use the initial for the first middle name only (for example, John E. W. Doe should be entered as John E Doe in TurboTax).
  • Hyphenated last names go into the Last name field in their entirety.
  • Generally, with nonhyphenated multiple last names, the very last name goes into the Last name field, for example:
    • Richard L. Brown Roe should be entered as Richard L. Roe
    • Richard (no middle initial) Brown Roe should be entered as Richard (no middle initial) Roe

If after following the steps above you are still unable to correct the problem you will have to file a paper return.

You may want to contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 800-772-1213 to verify their records.

Hope this helps

IRS rejection code IND-116 reads: For each dependent in 'DependentDetail' in the return, if 'EligibleForChildTaxCreditInd' is checked, then that dependent's age MUST be under 17.

Please confirm the following information on your tax return prior to resubmitting:

• Dependents Name and social security number (SSNmatch what is reported on the Social Security card.
  • Date of Birth (DOB) for the dependent is accurate.

If you determine the NameSSN, and DOB are correct, there may be an error in the records of the Social Security Administration (SSA).  You can contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 to correct the error.

NOTE:  If you continue to receive a rejection from the IRS, this will generally result in having to file a paper return.

TTuser3

I have used TT for 3 years: 2015/16/17 In 2015 I e-filed without a problem. In 2016 I entered my daughter’s bday incorrectly. I completed all of these recommended action items and still got the same error code again, and again this year.  Any ideas?

this is a turbo tax software error. the system is checking a box for dependent child tax credit on the 17 year old and that box should not be checked.  I am having a problem getting help with the same issue. i am about to go use another service if i don't get this fixed today!
kumudbunty
Returning Member

I am also having the exact same issue and feel it is a turbotax software error where it is not setting the correct flag and putting the 17 year old in wrong bucket.
Dani_P88

I’m having this same problem I can’t get past this part for nothing smh

LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

Often, the information is no longer correct with Social Security Administration.(SSA).   IRS reconciles the name, social security number, and the date of birth with the SSA records on file. 

An error is generated if it does not match the tax return EXACTLY.  I have had cases where the date of birth was wrong in the SSA records.

Please check with SSA by calling this number: 1 (800) 772-1213. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Honestly the IRS is messing up and you need to contact the Department of Treasury. I have been checking the status of my refund for 3 weeks and they keep saying waiting for a refund update. But today at 7:30pm i called the 18008291040 info line and now its saying my ss # is wrong when ive had the same ss# for 36 years. So its IRS MESSING UP EVERYTHING! FILE A COMPLAINT THROUGH Dept of Treasury. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Please check with SSA by calling this number: 1 (800) 772-1213.  The IRS looks at last name, SSN and date of birth. If you changed your last name, that could affect the filing. There is always the possibility of identity theft as well. You really do need to contact SSA and verify that your records are correct. Often a woman gets married, maybe changes license but does not change her name with SSA. Then the husband files with the changed name. Return is rejected. We see that a lot.

@Veronicas83

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When I try to find out where my tax return check is it says my social security number doesn't exist?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies