Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emeraldbeacon
Returning Member

(How) do I report sale of stock from within an Inherited IRA?

I inherited an IRA from my father when he passed away about 8 years ago.  Last year was the first time I needed to sell stock from it, to cover the minimum required distribution. 

Now, I'm not a finance person, so I don't know a lot about it, but I thought I would need to report capital gains/losses from the account.  I'm not sure how I should go about entering that, though, or if I even need to, given the nature of this account (Inherited IRA)?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You do not report capital gains or losses within an IRA. You only report distributions when you take money out of the IRA. You get a Form 1099-R for the distributions, showing the amount that you took out.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You do not report capital gains or losses within an IRA. You only report distributions when you take money out of the IRA. You get a Form 1099-R for the distributions, showing the amount that you took out.

emeraldbeacon
Returning Member

I did get a 1099-R for that account, and input everything accordingly.  Glad to hear that the gains/losses aren't taxed twice over!  Thanks for the help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies