turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

triordan

How do I report a direction contribution from an IRA to a charity, therefore non-taxable in Turbo Tax?.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
NancyG

How do I report a direction contribution from an IRA to a charity, therefore non-taxable in Turbo Tax?.

Enter the 1099-R following the interview questions.  The 1099-R should reflect the Qualified Charitable Deduction (QCD).

For a QCD, the donation would go to the charity directly, and you would get a 1099-R, with the distribution showing on line 15a of the form 1040, but none of the QCD is shown on line 15b.  So the amount of QCD is not reflected in your income.You do not enter the QCD as a donation on your schedule A.

A Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) from your IRA is made by having the IRA custodian send the money directly to the charity.  The check cannot be made payable to the IRA owner and instead must be made payable directly to the charitable entity (though the check payable to the charity can be sent to the IRA owner and forwarded on to the charity).

If you got the money yourself and you made charitable contributions, you cannot treat that as a QCD. If you itemize deductions, of course, you can claim an itemized deduction for your contributions. 

triordan

My IRA provider (Fidelity) listed the amount as taxable.  Line 15 on the 1099R form is for local taxes deducted.  Is the IRA provider required to submit the QCD on the 1099 form?
NancyG

Sorry for the confusion, lines 15a and 15b in my response, refer to lines on your 1040, page 1. If the QCD was distributed directly by Fidelity, line 1 of your 1099-R will show the entire distribution, line 2a will show the taxable portion and the distribution code should be 7. In affect, the difference between line 1 of the 1099-R and line 2a is the QCD. You are only taxed on the amount on line 2a.

I have the same problem with Merrill Lynch. Can anyone help?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

See @NancyG response immediately above.

If the QCD was distributed directly by Fidelity, line 1 of your 1099-R will show the entire distribution, line 2a will show the taxable portion and the distribution code should be 7.

In effect, the difference between line 1 of the 1099-R and line 2a is the QCD. You are only taxed on the amount on line 2a. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies