Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report a canceled duplicate RMD that the company that bought my IRA sent the IRS a 1099-R for? Taxes were paid, but I didn't receive distribution.

I received original RMD in January from original investment co. During 2021, my IRA was sold to another investment co and they sent a check for an RMD also. I refused the payment and it was cancelled. But a 1099-R was still sent to the IRS showing that I received the distribution and paid taxes on it. They said they can't reverse the tax w/h for 2021.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How do I report a canceled duplicate RMD that the company that bought my IRA sent the IRS a 1099-R for? Taxes were paid, but I didn't receive distribution.

You can ask for a waiver of the 60-rule for redepositing an IRA distribution of withholding, when it is due to a custodian error or for other allowed reasons.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-faqs-relating-to-waivers-of-the-60-day-rollove...

In lieu of the waiver, enter a distribution of <tax> and a tax withheld of <tax>.

Mark it as a Corrected 1099-R, which you should actually get anyway.

An incorrect 1099-R is not reported, once you have received the Corrected 1099-R.

dmertz
Level 15

The investment company correctly treated this as a distribution and rollover.  To make up for the amount withheld for taxes you would have had to substitute other funds and then get back any excess tax withholding when you file your 2021 tax return.  Any portion of this distribution not rolled over remains distributed, subject to tax and possible early-distribution penalty.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies