turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DDunham

How do I put an entry in line 15a? I made a QCD from and RMD and am unable to override in line 15a.

I was 70.5 on December 10, 2020 and made a QCD shortly thereafter. TurboTax is not asking me the followup question you describe to get the QCD handled as you describe.

dmertz
Level 15

How do I put an entry in line 15a? I made a QCD from and RMD and am unable to override in line 15a.

See the workaround for this bug that I posted above, 5 replies up. 

My husband took a distribution from his traditional IRA  He used part of it to make a QCD.  He was 701/2 at the time, code 7 shows in the box and the IRA/SEP/Simple box is checked.  I still do not get the charity question on the next screen. 

dmertz
Level 15

Delete the Form 1099-R and when reentering it indicate that none of the distribution was RMD.  Because RMDs were waived for 2020, his distribution was not an RMD even though that was the original intent of the distribution.

I was 70 1?2 last year.

The IRA simple box is checked but the software is not asking me about charitable distributions.

Is Turbotax 2020 properly programed to seek information about QCDs for users who are 70 1/2 and 71 and under the new tax law  not required to make RMDs but are eligible to make QCDs?

dmertz
Level 15

See my post above about temporarily changing your birthdate to work around the TurboTax bug that is preventing TurboTax from allowing you to indicate that the distribution was transferred to charity.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies