turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlgula

How do I make TT report a corpus distribution from a complex trust without an income distribution?

I believe that a corpus distribution should be reported on 1041 schedule B line 10 but I can't figure out how to make TT enter that value without doing an income distribution and schedule K-1. I want to keep the income in the trust and not distribute current income to the beneficiary.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How do I make TT report a corpus distribution from a complex trust without an income distribution?

"How do I make TT report a corpus distribution from a complex trust without an income distribution?"

It is not technically correct, absent the circumstances set forth in the instructions for Form 1041 (link below), but with TurboTax Business you can make several overrides in Forms Mode on Schedule B. Obviously, you want Line 15 of Schedule B to be blank (or otherwise show a zero). 

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1041/ch02.html#d0e4239

You should be aware, however, that distributions, whether mandatory or discretionary, carry taxable income through to the beneficiary(ies) to the extent of DNI.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies