turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I figure the maximum amount I may contribute to my IRA to receive the maximum deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CathiM

How do I figure the maximum amount I may contribute to my IRA to receive the maximum deduction?

The maximum contribution you can make to your traditional IRA is $6,500 if you are age 50 and older.  Your CPA was probably telling you only what you needed to contribute to not owe taxes. I am not able to see that, but you can enter the full $6,500 into TurboTax (after you finish entering all income and deductions) and see if you are getting a refund.  If you are, then adjust down the $6,500 until your refund is $0. That will be the amount you need to deposit.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
CathiM

What type of IRA do you have and are you age 50 or older?

I have a regular Ira and I am 67.  Ive had a CPA do the taxes in the past, he would tell me how much I needed to put in before the deadline.  Trying to figure out how he would come up with the amount he would tell me to make!
CathiM

The maximum contribution you can make to your traditional IRA is $6,500 if you are age 50 and older.  Your CPA was probably telling you only what you needed to contribute to not owe taxes. I am not able to see that, but you can enter the full $6,500 into TurboTax (after you finish entering all income and deductions) and see if you are getting a refund.  If you are, then adjust down the $6,500 until your refund is $0. That will be the amount you need to deposit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies