Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HI my wife passed 02/27/20 I received my $1800 stimulus., my wife did not . I am now filing as a widower and there is a $1800 federal refund. Can this be correct?

Is she entitled to the $1800 ? Under the RRC this is how turbo tax is calculating it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

HI my wife passed 02/27/20 I received my $1800 stimulus., my wife did not . I am now filing as a widower and there is a $1800 federal refund. Can this be correct?

I am sorry for your loss.

Recovery rebate credits may be claimed for individuals who died in 2020 or 2021 when filing the decedent’s 2020 tax return. This includes someone who filed joint tax returns with a spouse who died in 2020 or 2021.

See https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/recovery-rebate-credit-topic-d-calculating-the-credit

As stated by the previous responder, be sure you use married filing jointly filing status for your 2020 tax return.  If you do not remarry in 2021 or later your new filing status will be single, unless there are any qualified dependents involved.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies