On form 1099-R box 2a is blank and 2b is checked. If I calculated the taxable amount using the simplified method, where do I enter that amount?

This is for a distribution from a monthly pension. 

1099-R’s come in two versions.

In the first version both box 1 and box 2a contain #’s. This means that the plan custodian had the information to determine the taxable amount and did so. Enter both #’s, (even if they are the same), and TT will put the amounts on either Lines 12a & b of the 1040A or Lines 16a & b of the 1040.

In the second version, box 2a is blank and, IF there is a box 2b, it will be checked. This means that the plan custodian did not have the information needed to determine the taxable amount. Leave box 2a blank, do not enter "0". Regardless of whether or not your 1099-R has the check box, you should check it on the TT screen since that tells TT that you left box 2a blank on purpose. 

Based on your answers to all of the program's questions TT will compute the "box 2a" taxable amount and transfer it to the 1040 or 1040A.  You don't need to attempt to calculate the taxable amount yourself. 

1099-R’s come in two versions.

Even though I often recommend using TT's "forms" mode, this is a situation in which you really need to use the "step-by-step" mode.

Entering information directly onto the forms will void the TurboTax accuracy guarantee per the license agreement.

After you enter the 1099-R information and continue, the follow-up questions will ask if you use the simplified method.

Thanks, appreciate the help and quick responses.

Good to know "macuser".  In past years I've handled questions from users who had made errors that were much easier to find & fix from the forms mode since it highlights errors in pink.

What if neither box is checked

If the 1099R has a number in box 2a AND box 2b is checked (as in downloads from TD Ameritrade) you have to remove the amount in box 2a (make it blank not zero) in order for TT to calculate the correct amount for box 2a.

You enter the 1099-R *exactly* as it is.  If there is an amount in box 2a, then it must be entered.  In most cases, that is the taxable amount.  If there is a "basis" in the account that makes the taxable amount different, the the follow-up questions in TurboTax will handle that situation.

This is a year old post and many changes have taken place in the interview since.