jhewitt972

Form 8853 p1

I received a 1099-SA form for a Medicare Advantage MSA and it won't let me file saying that form 8853 p1 must be filed.  It indicated that the form will be available on 2/11/21.  Not sure what this is or why I need to file it.

ColeenD3

Form 8853 p1

No, just answer yes if you used it for medical expenses ONLY. Since you said you spent most on medical enter NO and then answer the follow-up questions. 

See the screenshot below.

ColeenD3

Form 8853 p1

You need the form because this is the form that records all the information from your MSA.

Please see this LINK for more information.

jhewitt972

Form 8853 p1

Thanks ColeenD3.  I used most of my distribution for dental expenses and my plan categorizes these as covered.  That is why I got the MSA in the first place.  Do I need to itemize these on the 8853.  I don't have the cancelled checks.

ColeenD3

Form 8853 p1

See the screenshot below.

TerryHutchinson

Form 8853 p1

I am in a similar situation.  I withdrew a small amount from my MSA during 2021 and it was all used for medical expenses.  I checked the Yes box indicating such on the Turbotax prompt.  TurboTax now is withholding filing my taxes because it is ostensibly waiting on form 8853 p1 from the IRS.  It now says the form is due 3/31/2022.  This makes no sense.  Instructions for the form have been out since December.  Turbotax must have it. 

BillM223

Form 8853 p1

It takes every tax software vendor time to get the final IRS form, make a mock-up that the IRS approves, code the XML generator that is used for the e-file format, write the code to populate the form, test the heck out of it not only on the 8853 itself but also every form that feeds into it and the form it feeds into (the 1040).

Of course, if you assume that there will be zero changes from the previous year, you might do a lot of this before the final form is released by the IRS...but you have to balance the workloads of the 8853 accountants and programmers and testers with all the other last minute work that is going on. I am sure that the Development staff is still busy trying to make sense of all the things they had to do in early 2021 as the IRS (and Congress) were changing the rules and forms during the 2020 tax season. It is likely that they did things in a hurry for last tax season that they have been fixing ever since.

Then it becomes a matter of scheduling, as the Development Team has only finite resources. Please keep watching the Federal Forms Availability page for updates to the availability date for the 8853.

rrt11112

Form 8853 p1

Form 8853 is clearly available on the IRS web site right now.

Who can I contact at Turbotax to get a refund of my already paid program fees?

I will submit my income tax via hard copy, rather than wait another 45 days for Turbotax to get it's version done.

Thanks

BillM223

Form 8853 p1

As I noted above, the IRS putting a form on its website is only the first step in making a tax form available in the offerings of any tax software company.

Furthermore, I would strongly encourage you not to print and mail your return, if you still have the option to e-file. The IRS is severely backlogged, and the backlog is getting worse. There are nearly 24,000,000 return that have not yet been processed from last year, and any return you file this year on paper will have to compete with all those returns from last year.

See "IRS backlog hits nearly 24 million returns, further imperiling the 2022 tax filing season"

If you are expecting a refund, do what the IRS suggests and e-file and use direct deposit...