Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For Roth IRA - does it matter in which year I earned the money for contribution?

For example, for my 2022 Roth IRA contribution, for the money I am going to contribute, does it matter if I earned the money today (like, Jan 15, 2023) instead of earned it during 2022? Or I can only contribute the money that I earned during 2022 to my 2022's limit? 

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

For Roth IRA - does it matter in which year I earned the money for contribution?

An IRA contribution for 2022 is not permitted to be more than your compensation for 2022 (box 1 or your 2022 W-2 or net earnings from self employment in 2022).  However, cash is fungible, so it doesn't matter where you get the cash to make the deposit.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

An IRA contribution for 2022 is not permitted to be more than your compensation for 2022 (box 1 or your 2022 W-2 or net earnings from self employment in 2022).  However, cash is fungible, so it doesn't matter where you get the cash to make the deposit.

In other words, specific dollar bills don't have name tags telling where they came from or when they were earned.  And you can designate contributions for the 2022 tax year up until April 15, 2023 (make sure to tell the bank in advance if you want to make a 2022 contribution).  But the overall amount you contribute for the 2022 tax year can't be more than your 2022 compensation from working.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies