retiredtired

Filing my taxes. Filling in the Wages and Income section. I have a CSA 1099R that reflects my monthly annuity from my 36 years of Civil Service employment (postal). Turbo Tax program is asking me "Was this withdrawal an RMD for 2018 and the the two respon

macuser_22

Virtually all pension plans, defined benefit plans, and annuities in existence today fall under section 401 of the tax code.

Required minimum distributions for defined benefit plans and annuity contracts all require RMD's after age 70 1/2.  If you receive periodic (monthly) payments from any pension plan you can be assured that the custodian of the plan is meeting the requirements so you can safely answer "yes" to the question.

The rules that the plan administrator must use to calculate the RMD as required by §401(a)(9) are defined in § 1.401(a)(9)-6) of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC).

The answer to the question does not go on your tax return, it is simply to make sure you do not owe any penalty for not taking the RMD or use it for an ineligible rollover.

The question is just to be sure that the requirement was met.

re2boys

Yes, it is your RMD from this pension as you receive a monthly check calculated by OPM as your required distribution.
macuser_22