turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing my taxes. Filling in the Wages and Income section. I have a CSA 1099R that reflects my monthly annuity from my 36 years of Civil Service employment (postal). Turbo Tax program is asking me "Was this withdrawal an RMD for 2018 and the the two respon

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Filing my taxes. Filling in the Wages and Income section. I have a CSA 1099R that reflects my monthly annuity from my 36 years of Civil Service employment (postal). Turbo Tax program is asking me "Was this withdrawal an RMD for 2018 and the the two respon

Virtually all pension plans, defined benefit plans, and annuities in existence today fall under section 401 of the tax code.

Required minimum distributions for defined benefit plans and annuity contracts all require RMD's after age 70 1/2.  If you receive periodic (monthly) payments from any pension plan you can be assured that the custodian of the plan is meeting the requirements so you can safely answer "yes" to the question.

The rules that the plan administrator must use to calculate the RMD as required by §401(a)(9) are defined in § 1.401(a)(9)-6) of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC).

The answer to the question does not go on your tax return, it is simply to make sure you do not owe any penalty for not taking the RMD or use it for an ineligible rollover.

The question is just to be sure that the requirement was met.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302117

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes, it is your RMD from this pension as you receive a monthly check calculated by OPM as your required distribution.

Virtually all pension plans, defined benefit plans, and annuities in existence today fall under section 401 of the tax code.

Required minimum distributions for defined benefit plans and annuity contracts all require RMD's after age 70 1/2.  If you receive periodic (monthly) payments from any pension plan you can be assured that the custodian of the plan is meeting the requirements so you can safely answer "yes" to the question.

The rules that the plan administrator must use to calculate the RMD as required by §401(a)(9) are defined in § 1.401(a)(9)-6) of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC).

The answer to the question does not go on your tax return, it is simply to make sure you do not owe any penalty for not taking the RMD or use it for an ineligible rollover.

The question is just to be sure that the requirement was met.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302117

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies