Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal Tax due extension in disaster areas

I moved to Santa Clara, CA in 2022 and was affected by the flood but my spouse didn't move to California. We're filing federal tax jointly and I'm filing CA state tax separately since my spouse never lived in California in 2022 nor had any CA-sourced income. I owe both federal tax and CA tax. Do we qualify for paying the tax due on Oct 16?

According to IRS, "penalty relief is automatically given to taxpayers with an IRS address of record located in the disaster area." I don't have a IRS address record in CA since I just moved in last year. TurboTax still says I owe a tax penalty. Which form do I need to fill out to waive the penalty? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, you would qualify for the automatic penalty relief since you were affected by the flood.  If you are using your address on the return, then you would be eligible. 

When you mail in your return, the IRS would calculate your penalty due.  You can select, let the IRS calculate my penalty instead of having TurboTax do it when you get to the section for Other Tax Situations and it asks if you want to see if you qualify for a penalty waiver. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, you would qualify for the automatic penalty relief since you were affected by the flood.  If you are using your address on the return, then you would be eligible. 

When you mail in your return, the IRS would calculate your penalty due.  You can select, let the IRS calculate my penalty instead of having TurboTax do it when you get to the section for Other Tax Situations and it asks if you want to see if you qualify for a penalty waiver. 

Thanks! Just to confirm, I can pay both federal and CA tax by Oct 16? And it's ok my spouse doesn't live in California? 

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you file jointly with your spouse.

Thanks! Do I need to be the primary spouse in order to qualify for tax relief?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies