Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mitduffy

Enter RMD data but line 1040-4a only shows Pension data, not the sum of Pension and RMD data..

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Enter RMD data but line 1040-4a only shows Pension data, not the sum of Pension and RMD data..

If all of your IRA distributions are fully taxable, the IRA distributions will be included only on line 4b, not on line 4a, due to the convoluted instructions the IRS has provided for line 4a.

wizestep

The IRA instructions for IRA Distributions read"Except as provided next [a list of 4 exceptions], leave line 4a blank and enter the total distribtion (from Form 1099-R, box 1) on line 4b."
huntersandor
Returning Member

I.e., If you have 1099-Rs for both IRA and annuity distributions, you may end up with a larger amount on Line 4b, than on Line 4a, but this is okay because it agrees with the IRS Instructions for Form 1040. This was my situation.
wizestep

Correct, although confusing.  It was my situation also.  If you just look at the form, it appears that 4b could not be larger than 4a, but it can and is if you have both pension/annuity and IRA distributions.
FrankV1
Returning Member

For me, 4a or 4b are forced to 1 and they are left blank.  Makes no sense.

@FrankV1   What is your full question with details?  You have added onto a very old post.  Several years old post.    What year are you asking about?  There will be many updates to come for 2021.  

FrankV1
Returning Member

My mistake. I didn't look at the date before I posted. Problem is current (2021) tax.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Except as provided in the exceptions listed in the Form 1040 instructions (see page 26), leave line 4a blank and enter the total distribution (from Form 1099-R, box 1) on line 4b.   

If you are still needing help with a question, please post a new question with some additional details, using this link.    @FrankV1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies