Solved: Early withdrawl of $7143,56 from a Roth IRA before I turned 59 1/2. What happened to the $1200 that was withheld by the custodian? Why do I owe $714 additional taxes?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early withdrawl of $7143,56 from a Roth IRA before I turned 59 1/2. What happened to the $1200 that was withheld by the custodian? Why do I owe $714 additional taxes?

I understand there was a 10% penalty ($714), but the $1200 should have included $486 in withheld taxes after that penalty.  Is that sent to the IRS, or do I have to recover that from the custodian?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

Early withdrawl of $7143,56 from a Roth IRA before I turned 59 1/2. What happened to the $1200 that was withheld by the custodian? Why do I owe $714 additional taxes?

The money withheld for federal taxes and shown in box 4 of the Form 1099-R gets added to your withholding from all other sources and applied as a credit on Form 1040 line 64 or Form 1040A line 40 against your overall tax liability.  Similarly, state taxes withheld get applied as a credit against your state tax liability.

You have a balance due when your overall tax liability exceeds your total of withholding and estimated tax payments.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 15

The money withheld for federal taxes and shown in box 4 of the Form 1099-R gets added to your withholding from all other sources and applied as a credit on Form 1040 line 64 or Form 1040A line 40 against your overall tax liability.  Similarly, state taxes withheld get applied as a credit against your state tax liability.

You have a balance due when your overall tax liability exceeds your total of withholding and estimated tax payments.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings