Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Early IRA withdrawal due to disability

Wife took an early distribution on her IRA due to her being disabled.  Applied for disability over a year ago, was declined, and are now appealing.  Her Doctors say she is disabled.  May we claim the disability exemption without a determination letter from SSDI?  Would a statement from her Doctors suffice?  Or are we stuck with the penalty.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The doctor's statement is the only documentation you need in this case and not the letter from SSDI to take the exemption from the IRS 10% penalty for early withdraw. As you know the amount you received from the distribution is still subject to ordinary income rules. The doctor's statement needs to be concise in it's wording. I would suggest, "that the physical or mental impairment is continuous and of long and indefinite duration". I hope that this helps you and I'm sorry for the disability illness in your family.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The doctor's statement is the only documentation you need in this case and not the letter from SSDI to take the exemption from the IRS 10% penalty for early withdraw. As you know the amount you received from the distribution is still subject to ordinary income rules. The doctor's statement needs to be concise in it's wording. I would suggest, "that the physical or mental impairment is continuous and of long and indefinite duration". I hope that this helps you and I'm sorry for the disability illness in your family.

I am not a tax professional.

I refer you to IRS Publication 590-B https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590b.pdf  especially page 21, which describes the codes on your 1099-R, and page 24 which discusses exceptions to the 10% early withdrawal penalty, and page 25 which discusses disability.

Also https://www.irahelp.com/slottreport/5-things-know-about-disability-exception-10-early-ira-distributi... contains a good discussion about the definition of disability (very strict) and how to file and claim the disability exception even if your 1099-R does not report that exception.

Detrease

is th social security disability verification letter sufficient?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, a letter from Social Security would be sufficient evidence for the IRS to allow the disability claim. 

@Detrease

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies