Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Does Turbo Tax account for the Virginia Military Retirement Income change for 2022? It is reduced on first $10,000 for retirees over 55.

I was unaware of this deduction until I was completing my 2023 taxes.  On what 2022 Turbo Tax screen does one see "State Taxes in the left column"??  I am not finding it so can't even start creating an amended return.

Not impressed that updates to the 2022 Turbo Tax program did not update the Virgina tax procedure to account for this significant change.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Does Turbo Tax account for the Virginia Military Retirement Income change for 2022? It is reduced on first $10,000 for retirees over 55.

If using TurboTax online sign in to your account and scroll down to your tax documents.  There you will see an amend option. Choose the amend option for the prior year return.  Once you are in your 2022 return, on the left hand side you will see items like "Federal" "Wages & Income" Deductions & Credits" and "State Taxes." In the State Taxes dropdown you will find the topic "Your State Returns."  Click that option to take you to your state returns. 

NOTE:  Since you are amending your state return and not your federal return here is a link that will help you complete the process. The link also has instructions if you need to use a desktop product. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does Virginia tax military retirement pay and if so by how much?

gtmohawkjr

My military retired home of record is Texas but I got a new job in Virginia.  How is my military retirement taxed?

gtmohawkjr

WOW!!

THANKS FOR THE VIRGINIA UPDATE FOR US VETS AT OR OVER 55 REGARDING MILITARY RETIREMENT PAY.

Chas11,

Turbotax did not update nor give you any prompt to to claim this significant new change to Virginia Tax Law for military retirees.

My own opinion is that a majority of the people who qualify to take this deduction will never take it.

They won't go looking for this deduction because they don't know it exists and Turbotax will never prompt

them.

I personally to this deduction on my 2022 and 2023 state returns because I knew about it.

Although wasn't aware of the increase in the deduction limit from $10,000 to $20,000.

Turbotax calculation was a refund of $70 with claiming to deduction.

After I corrected my return with the deduction.   $720 refund.

$650 difference which Turbotax mistake would have cost.

Turbotax guarantee = fail

For most people, $650 is a lot of money.

How do I get a refund?

File an amendment by following the instructions in Turbo Tax. I haven't done it for a long time so I can't recall how to do it. 

Thank you dnrcald3.

Sorry but mistake in original post.

I should have said:  In the final review of my state return I realized the deduction had not been applied.

And added the deduction manually before e-filing by returns. 

Sadasat

how to I get this if I have already filed... can not believe this was not built in!  

We claim standard deductions.

Please advise

File an amendment using Turbo Tax instructions. I don't  remember how to do the amendment but it is built into Turbo Tax.

@Sadasat wrote:

how to I get this if I have already filed... can not believe this was not built in!  

We claim standard deductions.

Please advise

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a state tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/need-amend-state-return/L3hGF...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies