turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does TT allow a 2nd form so I can enter my wife's info for Form 8606? I don"t see the "Add another entry" option so commonly seen elsewhere. ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristyW

Does TT allow a 2nd form so I can enter my wife's info for Form 8606? I don"t see the "Add another entry" option so commonly seen elsewhere. ?

Yes, make sure you select the appropriate box under each name when you are in this section of your return. You are correct this particular section of TurboTax does not have the "add another entry option". 

If you know you need Form 8606, here's how you make sure TurboTax generates one:

1. Open (continue) your return if it's not already open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for this exact phrase, including the comma (you can copy/paste from here): 8606, nondeductible ira contributions
  3. Select the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  4. When you see Traditional IRA and Roth IRA, make sure you select your wife's name also (see attachment)
  5. Proceed through the IRA interview, answering questions as you go.
  6. You will be asked about the primary taxpayer first. Continue, through to the secondary to answer additional questions.
  7. When you reach the screen Any nondeductible contributions to [name's] IRA? select Yes, then select Continue.

Tip: On joint returns, 8606-T and 8606-S denotes that the 8606 belongs to the taxpayer (first person listed on the return) and spouse, respectively. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Why do you need a 8606.  

You don't normally enter a 8606 itself.  It is automatically created when:

1) You make a new non-deductible Traditional IRA contribution.

2) You take a distribution from a IRA that has a after-tax "basis".

3) You make a conversion of a retirement account to a Roth IRA

If none of those occurred, then the last filed 8606 remains in effect
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
ChristyW

Yes, make sure you select the appropriate box under each name when you are in this section of your return. You are correct this particular section of TurboTax does not have the "add another entry option". 

If you know you need Form 8606, here's how you make sure TurboTax generates one:

1. Open (continue) your return if it's not already open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for this exact phrase, including the comma (you can copy/paste from here): 8606, nondeductible ira contributions
  3. Select the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  4. When you see Traditional IRA and Roth IRA, make sure you select your wife's name also (see attachment)
  5. Proceed through the IRA interview, answering questions as you go.
  6. You will be asked about the primary taxpayer first. Continue, through to the secondary to answer additional questions.
  7. When you reach the screen Any nondeductible contributions to [name's] IRA? select Yes, then select Continue.

Tip: On joint returns, 8606-T and 8606-S denotes that the 8606 belongs to the taxpayer (first person listed on the return) and spouse, respectively. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies