Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you deduct Employers share of Social Security Tax and Medicare Tax paid by employer on behalf of the employee. If so under what expense Item?

Mainly Interested whether you can claim as an Expense the Employers share of Medicare and Social Security Tax You paid for Employee.  If so under which Expense Category as listed under Turbo Tax Business Expense deductions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Can you deduct Employers share of Social Security Tax and Medicare Tax paid by employer on behalf of the employee. If so under what expense Item?

Yes, you can deduct as a business expense the employer's share of Social Security and Medicare tax. They are listed as Payroll Taxes under Taxes and Licenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can deduct as a business expense the employer's share of Social Security and Medicare tax. They are listed as Payroll Taxes under Taxes and Licenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
eiramb

Does anyone know … I am filing taxes late, and am sending in payment with my 941 this year .. do I report the deduction for medicare and social security for the year it was due or the year I pay it?

@eiramb   If your business uses the Cash method of accounting (most small businesses are Cash, see Line "F" of Schedule C), you deduct it in the year that you PAID it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies