turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I owe taxes on a QTIP trust final remainder distributions after the surviving spouse dies ?

And we're not talking about millions of dollars here, it's more like a few hundred thousand
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

Do I owe taxes on a QTIP trust final remainder distributions after the surviving spouse dies ?

The question is when property is passed on to a Marital trust on the death of one of the original grantors, is the tax basis of the property updated to the current market value of the property, or is still the original tax basis that the decedent grantor had for the property? Note The Marital trust is an irrevocable Trust, but QTIP property is supposed to be an exception ( that's what my attorney says but I cant find a confirmation of his statemet)

M-MTax
Level 10

Yeah, there is a step up because the QTIP assets are included in the estate of the surviving spouse.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies