g-sanchez5611

Do I owe GA state taxes on 401k money that was technically earned while working my old GA job BUT withdrawn while living in FL before I moved back to GA?

I moved from GA to FL in Oct. 2017. In Jan. 2018 (while living in FL) I withdrew the money from my 401K from my old GA job. Then I moved again BACK to GA ( a new job and city) in Sept. 2018. It was my understanding previously that since I withdrew the money while living in FL that I wouldn't owe GA state taxes on it. But since I moved back to GA again and am filing my 2018 taxes here in GA now, do I owe state taxes on the 401k money that was technically earned while working my original GA job BUT withdrawn while living in FL (where I lived almost a year)?

MichaelL1

The 401K is taxable income to where you were a resident of when you took the withdrawal, which would be FL in your case.

So it would not be subject to GA tax, and it is not GA source income.

I earned my pension in 8 different states, but where I live at the time of the withdrawal determined what state can tax it.

MichaelL1