Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

saveryct

Do I enter IRA contribution even if it's already on my W2?

I entered my IRA contribution from box 12 when entering my W2, then when I get to the "deductions" part of the process it asks what amount I contributed to my IRA. Do I enter the same amount from box 12 again?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaA
Expert Alumni

No, do not enter this information twice. If you have a SIMPLE-IRA through your employer, it will be reported with code S in box 12 of your W-2. You should only enter this information in the W-2 section of TurboTax. The question in the IRA section is referring to IRAs that you set up yourself, for example, at your local bank. Contributions to this type of IRA are not reported on a W-2.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

No, do not enter this information twice. If you have a SIMPLE-IRA through your employer, it will be reported with code S in box 12 of your W-2. You should only enter this information in the W-2 section of TurboTax. The question in the IRA section is referring to IRAs that you set up yourself, for example, at your local bank. Contributions to this type of IRA are not reported on a W-2.

a-shlafer

Thank you so much!!

Does this answer apply to Tax year 2018, too? My wife had a small 401(k) through her work and they cut us a check minus the forfeiture amount and federal withholding. Second part to this question, since she had more contributions between January 2019 and today (almost tax day 2019) will I need to add this or wait until next year for a 1099R from this former employee (she quit in February 2018)?

@Jquez how did she make more contributions in 2019 if she quit in February 2018?  You don't report 401K contributions.  Only enter them from the W2.  And report any 1099R you get.  Don't report anything in 2019 on your 2018.  Wait until next year when you file 2019 return.

Yes the answer above still applies.  She should get a 1099R for the check she got.  Do you need help entering the 1099R?  

She still worked until February 2019 so she still had money from her checks go to the 401(k). I saw quite a few replies similar to yours for other like questions and believe I understand now. I was thinking of a 401k like an IRA. I realize that mistake now. We'll wait on the 1099R next year for 2019's taxes. Thank you for your help.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies