Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ab5

Can my boyfriend claim me if I made less that $4000 this year but I did take out of my retirement fund, less than $200...do I have to file?

I'm confused because I need to know if I should also claim myself as well as my boyfriend I know that he paid for half of more than half of my expenses during the year but I did take out of my retirement fund and I want to check to see if I need to file this year or not

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can my boyfriend claim me if I made less that $4000 this year but I did take out of my retirement fund, less than $200...do I have to file?

For your boyfriend:  IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Who-Can-I-Claim-as-a-Dependent%3F

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3113432-who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent  

If your BF claims you, then you cannot claim your own exemption.  Instead you can file your own return and you have to say that you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return.  You will be getting a 1099R for the money you took from your retirement fund.  Go to  Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security>IRA  401 k) Pension Plan Withdrawals to enter your 1099R.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Did you live with BF all year?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Ab5

Yes I did, my only concern is the fact that I pulled from my retirement that I will also have to file when though I had income less that $2000 for the whole year

Did you pull $200 or $2,000 from the retirement fund? So what is your total 2017 income?  and which state?
Ab5

Florida, around $3000 total

For your boyfriend:  IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Who-Can-I-Claim-as-a-Dependent%3F

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3113432-who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent  

If your BF claims you, then you cannot claim your own exemption.  Instead you can file your own return and you have to say that you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return.  You will be getting a 1099R for the money you took from your retirement fund.  Go to  Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security>IRA  401 k) Pension Plan Withdrawals to enter your 1099R.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies