Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zzzacc

Did I read there is no income tax for spousal support my ex pays support is it true I do have to claim as income but still must claim my social security income?

Do I have to claim support as income? It’s spousal support I’m 67 and I’m being told I don’t need to count spousal support as income anymore is this true?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Did I read there is no income tax for spousal support my ex pays support is it true I do have to claim as income but still must claim my social security income?

Was your divorce or separation agreement finalized by the court after December 31, 2018?

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

It depends. Alimony that is received pursuant to a divorce agreement entered into before the law changed is taxable. And, not all states (California is an example) conform to the Federal law change. 

The taxation of alimony on federal tax returns recently changed because of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (TCJA). Today, alimony or separate maintenance payments relating to any divorce or separation agreements dated January 1, 2019 or later are not tax-deductible by the person paying the alimony, and the person receiving the alimony does not have to report the alimony received as taxable income.

Before the changes in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, alimony payments were tax-deductible by the person making the payment. The person receiving the alimony had to claim it as income on their federal tax return.

See this TurboTax article for more information regarding alimony.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies