turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jbbeede

Depreciation reduces my taxable income I know. But can I withdraw the depreciate amount in cash without tax consequence

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JaimeG

Depreciation reduces my taxable income I know. But can I withdraw the depreciate amount in cash without tax consequence

Depreciation does not work like a cash credit. Depreciation is a deduction that is spread out during more than one Tax Year to account for the loss of value to an asset. This means that you are able to place a dollar amount to the loss of value over time to a large purchase. This means that you cannot withdraw a cash amount without Tax Consequence. Since the depreciation has already been accounted for with an asset there is not cash amount to draw from. If you withdraw cash you will have to account for it as Business Expense and deduct it in Schedule C or you will have to consider it an Owner's draw and pay Self-Employment Taxes on it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JaimeG

Depreciation does not work like a cash credit. Depreciation is a deduction that is spread out during more than one Tax Year to account for the loss of value to an asset. This means that you are able to place a dollar amount to the loss of value over time to a large purchase. This means that you cannot withdraw a cash amount without Tax Consequence. Since the depreciation has already been accounted for with an asset there is not cash amount to draw from. If you withdraw cash you will have to account for it as Business Expense and deduct it in Schedule C or you will have to consider it an Owner's draw and pay Self-Employment Taxes on it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies