Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deposited money into traditional IRA to repay 1/3 of my covid-19 distribution and TT is saying I owe a penalty for excess contributions.

Repaid 1/3 of my covid-19 distribution after Jan. 2023. When I put this under traditional IRA contribution and mark that it is a repayment, it is still saying I owe a penalty for excess contribution. I did mark the box that it is a repayment. Why is it saying this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Deposited money into traditional IRA to repay 1/3 of my covid-19 distribution and TT is saying I owe a penalty for excess contributions.

It is not a new contribution.  Don't enter it under Deductions & Credits. 

So it is just entered as a rollover under wages and income and then under IRA, 401k, etc. withdrawals? In there it asked about the covid-19 repayment. When I made the payment to the IRA I had to classify it as a rollover. So that is the only place I need to put it?

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will enter the repayment of the 2020 Covid distribution in the retirement section only:

1. Click "Federal Taxes" on the top and select "Wages & Income"
  2. Click "I'll choose what to work on"
  3. Scroll down and click "Start" next to "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan (1099-R)
  4. Answer "No" to the question "Did You Have Any of These Types of Income?" if you didn't have a Form 1099-R for 2021  (If you have a Form 1099-R then enter all 1099-Rs and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Your 1099-R Entries​​​​​​​” screen)
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Did you take a disaster distribution in prior years or repay…" screen
  6. Answer "Yes" on the "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution" screen
  7.  Check the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and enter your information from your 2021 Form 9815-F, and then continue.
  8. Enter the repayment on the "Did you repay any 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution in 2022?" screen

@bythesea 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies