turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dhoida

My box 2a is zero on my 1099-R as it is non taxable, but TT won't let me file as SmartCheck is saying it can't be zero. How do I get by this edit in TT?

These were taxed dollar contributions, and pre-1986.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

My box 2a is zero on my 1099-R as it is non taxable, but TT won't let me file as SmartCheck is saying it can't be zero. How do I get by this edit in TT?

1099-R’s come in two versions.

In the first version both box 1 and box 2a contain #s. This means that the plan custodian had the information to determine the taxable amount and did so. (Box 2b should NOT be checked in this version on your 1099.) Enter both #’s, (even if they are the same), and TT will put the amounts on either Lines 12a & b of the 1040A or Lines 16a & b of the 1040.

In the second version, box 2a is blank and, IF there is a box 2b, it will be checked. This means that the plan custodian did not have the information needed to determine the taxable amount. Leave box 2a blank, do not enter "0". Regardless of whether or not your 1099-R has the checkbox, you should check it on the TT screen since that tells TT that you left box 2a blank on purpose. 

Based on your answers to all of the program's questions TT will compute the "box 2a" taxable amount and transfer it to the 1040 or 1040A.  You don't need to attempt to calculate the taxable amount yourself. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
MichaelDC

Is it blank or "0"? Is Box 2b checked?
dhoida

Hi Michael - Thanks for the response.  It is "0",  as are boxes 3,4,6,9b,12,15, and 17.   Box2b it says "Taxable amount not determined" and "Total distribution", there's no boxes though so I'm assuming that means I must check the boxes in TT.   Line 7 is code "1" and  then it says IRA/SEP/SIMPLE, but no box, so again I assume that means I should check the box for IRA/SEP/SIMPLE so I did.   Important note:  If I don't make those assumptions in 2b and 7 IRA/SEP/SIMPLE and don't check the boxes in TT, then it clears the SmartCheck edit.
MichaelDC

I can see your confusion. The custodians sometimes don't make it easy to read. It would be incorrect of them to use a "0" in 2a and check the 2b box (Taxable amount not determined). I think you have a handle on it. I'm answering with what is a typical problem in these instances. Let me know here if you need anything else.
MichaelDC

Attaching a typical 1099-R for clarity.
dhoida

OK - thanks much.   I read the instructions on the back and they reference "if this box is checked".  So they must put and x or a box and an x if these apply.  So since there is nothing there but the words (no "x" or no box with an "x"), I will uncheck them all in TT.

If there is no IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box on your 1099-R then it does NOT APPLY - do NOT check that box in TurboTax.     That box would only be checked it this was a IRA.

Having box 7 a "1" and no IRA box indicated that this was not an IRA but a different type of retirement account.

Having both a 0 (zero) in box 2a and box 2b "taxable amount not determined" appears to be an error on the 1099-R that the issuer of the 1099-R needs to correct.   Are you sure that box 2a was not blank and you entered a zero?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dhoida

Yes, I am sure.  Box 2a is a "0".  I believe now that neither "taxable amount not determined" and "total distribution" are just listed there as words.  There is no "x" or box by either phrase, so I now understand that to mean they are NOT checked.

Delete the 1099-R and re-enter exactly as on your form.  Do not mark any box not marked on the form and any blank box on the form leave blank in TurboTax and answer the followup questions.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dhoida

Correct, with those not checked in TT, as I've since learned they are just listed and not checked on my 1099-R, it makes it through the SmartCheck edit's.  Thank you TurboTaxMichaelDC and macuser_22 for your help.
MichaelDC

More than a pleasure. Good Luck!
MichaelDC

1099-R’s come in two versions.

In the first version both box 1 and box 2a contain #s. This means that the plan custodian had the information to determine the taxable amount and did so. (Box 2b should NOT be checked in this version on your 1099.) Enter both #’s, (even if they are the same), and TT will put the amounts on either Lines 12a & b of the 1040A or Lines 16a & b of the 1040.

In the second version, box 2a is blank and, IF there is a box 2b, it will be checked. This means that the plan custodian did not have the information needed to determine the taxable amount. Leave box 2a blank, do not enter "0". Regardless of whether or not your 1099-R has the checkbox, you should check it on the TT screen since that tells TT that you left box 2a blank on purpose. 

Based on your answers to all of the program's questions TT will compute the "box 2a" taxable amount and transfer it to the 1040 or 1040A.  You don't need to attempt to calculate the taxable amount yourself. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies