Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

blubberbo

Claiming Retiring Parent As Dependent Timeline & Questions

Hi,

I have searched and done research that answered some of my questions, but not all of them or some of the specific ones I have.  This is our situation:

• my mother is planning to retire in June 2021, at which point she is going to move in with me
  • as I understand it, I will not be able to claim her as a dependent in 2021, because she has made 1/2 year's salary (~$30k; well over the limit)

My questions are as follows:

• when can I start claiming her as a dependent? Starting Jan 2022?
  • she will lose her healthcare from her employer in June, but I do not believe I can add her to my healthcare (I have Kaiser) as a dependent until she is actually a dependent - so when is the quicker I can I add her to my insurance? Starting Jan 2022?
  • in the event that I have to pay for health insurance for her for a while, is that deductible, considering she will not be my dependent until 2022?
  • unless I am missing something, for her to retire in June but not be able to be a dependent until 2022, it could potentially cost us a huge amount of money, no?

Any help would. be greatly appreciated.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You have your years mixed up.  First of all you mean she's retiring in June of this year 2021?  So you can't claim her for 2020 or 2021.  Then starting next year January 2022 that you file in 2023 will she get retirement income?  If she gets over 4,300 you can not claim her.

blubberbo

You're absolutely right - I had my years wrong (it's been a weird 12 months...). I updated the original question.

In 2022 she will be receiving Social Security and a CA teacher's pension.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies