Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife's W-2 is wrong because she put exempt on her W-4. Her W-2 is blank for boxes 1 & 2, but has correct amounts for Soc. Sec. and Medicare. What do I do to file?

I just need to make sure I document the income, do I just put the right numbers in the filing form even though they wont match the W-2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife's W-2 is wrong because she put exempt on her W-4. Her W-2 is blank for boxes 1 & 2, but has correct amounts for Soc. Sec. and Medicare. What do I do to file?

I asked her employer for a corrected W-2. Leaving Box 1 empty is the wrong way to deal with an exemption claim on a W-4.  See this link for information on getting a corrected W-2.

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

Also, the W-4 was submitted in 2015, which means that for 2016, in the absence of a more current W-4, the exemption lapses and the employee should have the taxes withheld as if they were single with no exceptions.

By clicking on "I did not receive a W-2 from my employer" after entering all the info for my wife I can get TurboTax to file a form 4852, which is referenced in the link above, and be able to e-file.  However; I am unsure if that raises an audit risk either for myself or for the employer, so I will wait a few days to see if they will correct her W-2.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

I asked her employer for a corrected W-2. Leaving Box 1 empty is the wrong way to deal with an exemption claim on a W-4.  See this link for information on getting a corrected W-2.

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

Also, the W-4 was submitted in 2015, which means that for 2016, in the absence of a more current W-4, the exemption lapses and the employee should have the taxes withheld as if they were single with no exceptions.

By clicking on "I did not receive a W-2 from my employer" after entering all the info for my wife I can get TurboTax to file a form 4852, which is referenced in the link above, and be able to e-file.  However; I am unsure if that raises an audit risk either for myself or for the employer, so I will wait a few days to see if they will correct her W-2.

Claiming exemption does not mean you had no federal wages. Your W-2 sounds to be incorrect.

Ask her employer for a corrected W-2.

If you do not receive one by Feb 15th, the deadline, contact the IRS. You will need your estimated wage  and employer information available on the call.

NewGuy

You can use the W-2 to file, you will end up with a larger tax bill since she didn't have any taxes withheld during the year.  She should correct her W-4 for the current year.

Thank you for your reply.  I am glad to know that I can use it.  Now I only have one question.  What do I do to file?

What about her 401k, if any? health care premiums, if any. You don't have that info.

Seems like there should be something in box 1...unless ALL of the $$ went into some pretax contribution (like a 401k).....other than the SS and medicare that is.   or maybe it was all Combat pay

...but box 1 is rarely empty....maybe 1 out of 10,000
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies