turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foodie412

Where do I enter form 1099-B

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

my 1099-B has been ready since monday and TT wont let me import it until tomorrow. I suppose I will be using another tax software next year, esp since they deleted my question asking why they disable importing until certain dates. 
ThomasM

You'll enter this under the Federal Taxes tab (or Personal, if working in TurboTax Self-Employed/Home & Business), then select Wages & Income, then Investment Incomethen Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.  Follow the prompts to enter the 1099-B information.  This will require an upgrade to TurboTax Premier online, since a Schedule D will be prepared.

More info: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1934506-how-do-i-import-my-1099

The directions suggested do not even begin to address this issue. You need to fix this.

Nope, nope, nope. None of these directions correspond to anything in Turbotax. [profanity removed]
ThomasM

Can you be specific?  What do you see when you attempt to navigate to this section?  And which version of TT are you using?
kvaughn

I have home & business.  TT won't allow me to manually enter my 1099-B information.

I have been trying to import directly from etrade to my filing instead of filling it out stock by stock. I was under the impression that a broker who participated in the 'TurboTax Partner program' would be able to import the 1099B directly eliminating the need to enter it piece meal.  The instructions given do not address the question. I have never been able to find a prompt to 'import' directly from etrade. Feel like I am losing my mind.

Your broker must be registered with TT. If it is, go to broker site and login, return to TT and click name of broker from list or set of boxes. TT should then download from your account since you have opened it .

the prompts set me up in a circle

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Are you referring to importing investment information?  If so, 

• Go to Federal / Wages & Income / Your income / Investments and savings.
  • Click Edit / Add / Start to the right of Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other…..
  • Click on Add investments.

You may elect to report summary information.  Your brokerage statements should include a summary of your transactions, grouped by sales category, for example, Box A short-term covered or Box D long-term covered. You will enter the summary info instead of each individual transaction. 

1. Open or continue your return and search for stock sales.
  2. Select the Jump to link in the search results
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2021?
    • If you land on Your investment sales summary, select Add more sales 
  4. On the OK, what type of investments did you sell? screen, select Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, then Continue
  5. On the Let's import your tax info screen, select I'll type it myself
  6. Step through the interview and select Sales section totals when prompted to choose how to enter your sales
  7. You will now be able to enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Continue
  8. You can add additional sales totals by selecting the Add another sales total on the Review your sales section totals screen.

@thehousewren

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies