turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can RMDs from an inherited IRA be sent directly to a charity as Qualified non taxable distributions, if I am under 70.5?

Can RMDs from an inherited IRA be sent directly to a charity as Qualified non taxable distributions, if an individual is under 70.5?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Can RMDs from an inherited IRA be sent directly to a charity as Qualified non taxable distributions, if I am under 70.5?

No. It's not even an RMD, since you are under age 70.5.

You must take a taxable distribution, and then send it to the charity yourself, and claim it on Schedule A.

Oh, wait....it's inherited? From whom? Did you roll it over to your own IRA?

Under the QCD rules, the IRA owner must be at least age 70 ½ to do the QCD to the charity (and notably, the IRA owner must actually be age 70 ½ or older on the date of distribution, not merely turning 70 ½ sometime that year). Under IRS Notice 2007-7, Q&A-37, even a beneficiary of an inherited IRA can be eligible for a QCD, as long as the beneficiary themselves is at least age 70 ½ on the date of the distribution.
dmertz
Level 15

More accurately, the individual for whom the account is *maintained* (in this case the beneficiary of the inherited IRA) must be age 70½ or older to make a QCD.  (TurboTax mistakenly also requires that you indicate a birthdate for the original owner that implies that, at the time of the QCD, the original owner would have been age 70½ had they lived, but there is no such requirement in the tax code.)

These responses are very very helpful  - it can be confusing
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies