Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

paloma625

Can I still withdraw $10k from my Roth IRA without penalty for a 1st time home purchase, even under the new tax law passed Dec. 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I still withdraw $10k from my Roth IRA without penalty for a 1st time home purchase, even under the new tax law passed Dec. 2017?

The new tax law mainly affects income limits for contributions. 

The rules for qualified distributions, including qualified first-time home purchase, remain the same.

Here's a link to the full list of Roth Ira rules from the IRS: IRS Roth IRA Rules

as well as some useful blog posts:

2018 Roth Ira changes

2018 Roth Ira Withdrawal Rules

View solution in original post

5 Replies

The new tax law mainly affects income limits for contributions. 

The rules for qualified distributions, including qualified first-time home purchase, remain the same.

Here's a link to the full list of Roth Ira rules from the IRS: IRS Roth IRA Rules

as well as some useful blog posts:

2018 Roth Ira changes

2018 Roth Ira Withdrawal Rules

paloma625

Thank you Christian, that's very helpful! So I can withdraw $10,000 in earnings plus any contributions, or $10,000 total (earnings + contributions)?

Withdrawing your own previous contributions are *always* tax and penalty free and would not be included in the $10,000 exclusion because your own contributions are not subject to the penalty in the first place.   Only the earnings would be taxable and subject to the 10% early distribution penalty - up to $10,000 of the earnings can be exempted from the penalty for a first home if all the conditions are met.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

If it has been at least 5 years since the beginning of the year for which you first contributed to a Roth IRA, the exception not only makes a distribution of up to $10,000 of earnings penalty free, it also makes this portion of the distribution tax free as well.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can withdraw $10,000 in earnings plus any amounts of your contributions tax and penalty free.  To add to macuser_22, you can take out the exact amount of your Roth IRA contributions at any time, for any reason without having to pay any tax or penalty.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies