turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nsthayer

I have a 1099-R from military retirement. I am an Oklahoma resident and it says you can exclude 75% of retirement. But 1099R box 1 and 2a are same amount. Is this right?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a 1099-R from military retirement. I am an Oklahoma resident and it says you can exclude 75% of retirement. But 1099R box 1 and 2a are same amount. Is this right?

Box 2a is for the federal return, not the state return.

Depending on the state, you will be asked about the source of this 1099-R income. Some states ask right after you enter the 1099-R on the federal return, other states ask as part of the state interview what the source of the income is.

Oklahoma appears to do this in the state interview. On the screen in the Oklahoma interview headed "Pension Income", answer "yes". On the next screen(s), you will be asked about each 1099-R by the name that you entered on the federal return. Indicate that your Military retirement 1099-R was military, and TurboTax will handle the exclusion.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Box 2a is for the federal return, not the state return.

Depending on the state, you will be asked about the source of this 1099-R income. Some states ask right after you enter the 1099-R on the federal return, other states ask as part of the state interview what the source of the income is.

Oklahoma appears to do this in the state interview. On the screen in the Oklahoma interview headed "Pension Income", answer "yes". On the next screen(s), you will be asked about each 1099-R by the name that you entered on the federal return. Indicate that your Military retirement 1099-R was military, and TurboTax will handle the exclusion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies