turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter a REcontribution to a 529 plan to reduce what now appears as income due to my 1099-Q including funds which were returned to the 529plan?

I withdrew funds from my 529 plan to pay my daughters tuition, but returned the funds to the same 529 plan a week later as she decided not return to college. (I am the account owner, she is a beneficiary)

Her 1099-Q from the 529 plan includes that "unused" money, which now seems to appear as "income" on my federal return -- which I seem to be getting taxed on. Is there a way to show the Recontribution on the federal form so I am not paying on money I didn't use? My Year-End Statement from the 529 reflects to contribution.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

How do I enter a REcontribution to a 529 plan to reduce what now appears as income due to my 1099-Q including funds which were returned to the 529plan?

As you enter the 1099-Q, continue on through the interview.  You're asked if you transferred money to another 529 within 60 days.  Say Yes there.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anita01

As you enter the 1099-Q, continue on through the interview.  You're asked if you transferred money to another 529 within 60 days.  Say Yes there.

Thank you for your help. I actually did find this section in Turbo Tax prior to receiving your answer, so I really appreciate you affirming that I made the correct choice!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies