Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Apart from W-2, I received 1042-S, income code 16. What am I supposed to do with this form? Box 7 and 10 includes amount of money withheld.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LisaBr

Apart from W-2, I received 1042-S, income code 16. What am I supposed to do with this form? Box 7 and 10 includes amount of money withheld.

"Form 1042-S is used to report amounts paid to foreign persons that are subject to income tax withholding, even if no amount is deducted and withheld from the payment because of a treaty or exception to taxation, or if any amount withheld was repaid to the payee. It is also used to report amounts withheld under Chapter 3 of the Internal Revenue Code.Sometimes, this form is mailed out strictly for informational purposes and therefore does not need to be included on your return. This is often the case when Resident Aliens receive this form. 

Your Income code 16 relates to Scholarship or Fellowship Grants.

The significant items  on the 1042-S form are Box 7 and Box 10. Box 7 is US Federal Tax Withheld and Box 10 is Withholding Credit."

TurboTax does not support this form.  However, you can report the taxes withheld in boxes 7 and 10 as follows:

1.  Go to Federal.

2.  Select Deductions and Credits.

3.  Choose Other Income Taxes.

4.  Select Other Income Taxes Paid in 2017.

5.  Choose Withholding Not Already entered on W-2 or 1099.

Add these two boxes and enter them under Federal Taxes.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1042s#idm140326045891600

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

As LinaJ previously responded to a similar question:

If you are a US resident, by receiving a Form 1042- S with the code 16, you will treat it as receiving a scholarship or fellowship to offset your qualified education expenses if there are any.  Per IRS, you are required to file a Form 1040 to report your scholarship amount along with your tuition.  If you have paid any qualified tuition expenses out of pocket or with scholarship, you would enter information by following the steps below.  As IRS receives a copy of your Form 1042-S, you can e-file your tax return.  You do not need to submit your Form 1042-S separately.

In TurboTax online edition, 

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "1098t" and Enter
  • Select Jump to 1098t
  • Follow prompts

If you have paid in any tax withholdings, to enter the info, follow these steps: 

1.  Click on Deductions & Credits at the top of the page

2.  Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

3.   Click on Other Income Taxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies