Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

subletsc

My self-emplyd bus net income was $14762. TurboTax says I can contribute a max of $2,744 to a SEP. Can I contribute to my existing trad'l IRA INSTEAD of to a SEP? Max?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My self-emplyd bus net income was $14762. TurboTax says I can contribute a max of $2,744 to a SEP. Can I contribute to my existing trad'l IRA INSTEAD of to a SEP? Max?

A SEP IRA allows a qualified self employed person to contribute up to $55,000 but limits this based on a maximum of 25% of income.  Just going by what you wrote it looks like Turbo Tax is telling you that you hit the limit at $2,744 based on your income for the business.  A Traditional or ROTH IRA has a lower max limit than a SEP but doesn't have the 25% max limit either, so yes, you should be able to contribute to a Traditional assuming your total income is below the total income limits set by the IRS.  Something to consider since your income was $14k if your total income is in a low tax bracket you might do the math to see if a ROTH makes sense.  This would allow your contributions to grow tax free so that later when you are presumably in a higher tax bracket your ROTH would be tax free!  This would make sense if you don't need the tax deferments now.  Good Luck!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

A SEP IRA allows a qualified self employed person to contribute up to $55,000 but limits this based on a maximum of 25% of income.  Just going by what you wrote it looks like Turbo Tax is telling you that you hit the limit at $2,744 based on your income for the business.  A Traditional or ROTH IRA has a lower max limit than a SEP but doesn't have the 25% max limit either, so yes, you should be able to contribute to a Traditional assuming your total income is below the total income limits set by the IRS.  Something to consider since your income was $14k if your total income is in a low tax bracket you might do the math to see if a ROTH makes sense.  This would allow your contributions to grow tax free so that later when you are presumably in a higher tax bracket your ROTH would be tax free!  This would make sense if you don't need the tax deferments now.  Good Luck!
dmertz
Level 15

You have sufficient net profit to support contribute the maximum of $2,744 to a SEP IRA and to contribute the maximum to an IRA.

Your ability to deduct a regular traditional IRA contribution or make a Roth IRA contribution could be limited if you have a large amount of other income that would take your AGI above certain limits.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies