Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

A parent passed away in 2020 and bequeathed me a Muni mutual fund. In order to liquidate the funds the bank required me to setup an account and transfer the assets.

I am now receiving a 1099-B from the bank, showing the parent's original cost basis, therefore increasing the taxable net.   I liquidated the fund immediately after transferring to the my account, so had no holding period. I believe I should select the option "Some or all of the proceeds from this sale do not belong to me" and leave the adjustment option blank, but would appreciate guidance from the community. Thanks in advance!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

A parent passed away in 2020 and bequeathed me a Muni mutual fund. In order to liquidate the funds the bank required me to setup an account and transfer the assets.

@Semantax wrote:
I believe I should select the option "Some or all of the proceeds from this sale do not belong to me" and leave the adjustment option blank, but would appreciate guidance from the community. 

No, you should indicate that the fund was inherited (i.e., type "inherited" in the date acquired box) and that the holding period is long-term.

Your basis for the fund is the fair market value on the date of death of the decedent.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

@Semantax wrote:
I believe I should select the option "Some or all of the proceeds from this sale do not belong to me" and leave the adjustment option blank, but would appreciate guidance from the community. 

No, you should indicate that the fund was inherited (i.e., type "inherited" in the date acquired box) and that the holding period is long-term.

Your basis for the fund is the fair market value on the date of death of the decedent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies