401k deferrals are over allowed amount of $18,500 for year; TurboTax won't let me file electronically, how do I proceed?

spencer-lichtens

I mistakenly withheld too much money for my 401K in 2018 as a result of being employed at (2) different locations. I contributed an excess of $2,490. I already withdrew the money and reported in appropriately on my 2018 taxes.

However, TurboTax won't allow me to submit electronically because my Box 12b in W-2 is over the allowed $18,500 amount. How can I work around this issue? Technically my W-2's report that I deferred too much. I want to still file electronically.
Rachel_W

TurboTax is aware of the e-filing issue that you are having and is currently working on a solution. An update to fix the issue is expected to be released around 4/5/2019.  

Be sure to sign up for updates to be alerted as soon as there is a solution.  If you do not want to wait for an update, you have the option to paper file your tax returns as this is only an e-filing issue.

You can check out this recently added TurboTax FAQ for more information: Excess 401(k) Contribution Preventing E-filing.

spencer-lichtens

Has this been resolved yet?
mannies

Any update on the software fix for this issue?
ragz

I'm having the same issue and I don't think there its fixed yet. Any updates on the fix?
hellomoto25

do we bother waiting for a fix or just file by mail?  Turbo, the deadline is approaching.
anand123

Same issue here .. any updates?  
spencer-lichtens

Is there really no resolution to this issue for this tax year? Based on the link provided: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4698409-excess-401-k-contribution-preventing-e-file">https://ttlc....>

it appears that no fix will be released.

How do you not have the software developers to resolve this? We are paying significant money for this service and now have to paper file. Please provide a better resolution to this.