Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

1099 received with wrong social security number

In 2015 my mother-in-law owned the tiling company that my husband worked for.  In early 2016 the business was transferred into my husband's name. One of the contractors he worked for, didn't update the information in their records, so the 1099 he received from them this year has his mom's social security number on it instead of his. He has asked them for a corrected one but they are being less than cooperative. If they don't correct the social (and it's already filed with the IRS which means the IRS is assuming it's his mom's income and not his) how do we go about doing his taxes...and what about his mom? My thought was we go ahead and report it as income on his taxes and his mom does not. I would think that would up his mom's audit risk...but if it did, we would be able to prove that the income was reported by us and taxes paid on it???
1 Reply
Level 7

1099 received with wrong social security number

Your inclination on how to deal with the situation is a good one.  The worst thing that would happen would be that someone had to write a letter of explanation to the IRS.  Another way to deal with it would be for your mother-in-law to report it on her tax return, and also claim an expense for the same amount.   She could then issue a 1099-MISC to your husband, but I don't think that's necessary.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies