turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Stimulus Check for "Your Spouse as a dependent"

Did anyone ever find a solution to this?  I filed an amended return, but I was hoping Turbo Tax did something about this by now. 

@Cknick44

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/spouse-claimed-as-a-dependent-box-checked-on-2019-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Totally agreed!!!

I strongly recommend going to the better business bureau.  They will provide you with a phone number to the presidents office, the number for that operation It is good to reach out to news affiliates as well.  for some of us it is ok, but for many that depend on this money, intuit needs to pay attention.   [removed]

This happened to me also. I filed Married filing separately and the Turbotax software checked off the Spouse can be claimed as a dependent. I did not check this, and due to this I do not qualify for the stimulus, even though I should! It seems Turbo Tax have screwed over a lot of people. 

I called the IRS several times and they cannot do anything other than say I might be able to apply for the Recovery payment in 2021. We need this money NOW, not 6+ months from now. Any word of a class action regarding this? 

My spouse and I both did married filing separately for 2018 as well as 2019.  On my return I checked that no one can claim me as a dependent, I claimed 2 of our children and received a return.  On my return somehow a box was checked that someone can claim my spouse.  I did not and would not check this!!!!  My spouse stated on his return that he cannot be claimed, he claimed our 19 year old college student and received a small return also.  On his return somehow the box was checked saying someone can claim his spouse even though he did not and would not check that box!!!!!  That box being checked on our returns rendered both of us ineligible to receive stimulus checks.  No relief checks, not even the $500 per child.  Super confused as to how those boxes got checked and why him having that checked on his return overrides what I stated on my personal return and vice versa!  How the hell were we flagged as being dependents when we both claimed dependents!!!  So damned angry, our family really needed that relief now being told you'll just have to wait until you file next year which defeats the whole purpose of issuing the payments!  Turbotax kindly get rid of that box which I'm 100% positive, automatically populated!

People can't make this up. Clearly there is/was a flaw with the system and it needs to be brought to the attention of the IRS. I CAN ASSURE you that plenty of other users are still waiting for their check but are unaware that a check won't be mailed to them. Not many people want to wait 30 to 40 minutes to speak with an IRS agent. Do something about it....please. Thanks!

@colbski wrote:

People can't make this up. Clearly there is/was a flaw with the system and it needs to be brought to the attention of the IRS. I CAN ASSURE you that plenty of other users are still waiting for their check but are unaware that a check won't be mailed to them. Not many people want to wait 30 to 40 minutes to speak with an IRS agent. Do something about it....please. Thanks!

TurboTax is investigating this issue.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for information - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/spouse-claimed-as-a-dependent-box-checked-on-2019-...

I must be blind because that says it was solved, not that they are investigating the issue.  PEOPLE CONTACT the Better Business Bureau.  Make a complaint.

It’s been like two weeks and nothing.

@stahl1986 wrote:

I must be blind because that says it was solved, not that they are investigating the issue.  PEOPLE CONTACT the Better Business Bureau.  Make a complaint.

ALL the TurboTax FAQ's have a Green Solved indicator.  Only means that the FAQ has been approved as written.

You can Sign Up to be notified of updates if you so desire.

I am already signed up, there is nothing to indicate they are investigating this. 

Furthermore, when I spoke to the manager on Tuesday, there was no indication whatsoever they were "investigating" this issue. 

In 2018 my tax return had the "spouse could be claimed by someone else as dependent" checked. I certainly did not do this - we are both in our 70's and no one else can claim either of us!!!! IRS phoned last night and told me that #1 - because this box was checked, I can only "reclaim" the stimulus check on my 2020 taxes that are filed in 2021. #2 - I cannot amend my 2018 taxes to correct this because they have no way to fix this due to the way the legislation was written! It does not matter if I amend the form or not. They will not reconsider it. #3 - They haven't figured out how this will happen yet, but they know many people are dealing with this same situation. -- Thank you Turbo Tax! NOT! - I certainly did not indicate this on my tax return. I simply overlooked the fact that Turbo Tax did this to me.  FWIW, my deceased father received a check, and my husband has received his check. But I'm left out in the cold. My guess is they are hoping that many of us will forget this by 2021. I'm not going to forget this.

@DoninGA   Please relight or stoke the fire to the Moderator again.   Especially about it being marked wrong in 2018 (& maybe 2017) so it transferred over.  Which never would have been a problem and caught except now because of the Stimulus Check.  

Do they want diagnostic files?  Should we ask for tokens?  There was another user posted yesterday.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies