turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Stimulus Check for "Your Spouse as a dependent"

Hello,

In 2019, I filed Married Filing Separately and accidentally have the check box filled in for:

Someone can claim: "Your Spouse as a Dependent"

I have not received my stimulus deposit. My Spouse did already receive her stimulus deposit. The IRS site doesn't provide me with information. 

Will having this checkbox accidentally filled in prevent me from getting paid? Will I need to Amend the tax return?

Thank you,

Michael S.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

349 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

In TurboTax, you must have check the box saying that some one can claim you as a dependent. There is no such question about your spouse.

If this is the case, you must amend your tax return to receive the stimulus payment. Uncheck that box when you amend.

To amend your return, please follow the instructions in this TurboTax Help topic.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My wife and I file separately.  Both of our boxes are checked, erroneously, stating someone can claim our spouses as a dependent.  Neither of us would knowingly check that, but there it is.  On an amended return, it can be unchecked.  So this response saying no such question exists is at least partially incorrect.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aquinley0001  Did you or your wife receive your stimulus payment? I was wondering if this was a reason for no payment yet.

No, nothing yet.  I’m suspicious this is the reason.  I have since this post read that there was an issue last year on TurboTax with this box being checked automatically and people were unable to uncheck it.  I won’t say this is the problem but neither my wife nor I can figure out how we both would accidentally check these boxes on separate returns.  My 2018 shows the same box checked.  idk if carrying over our personal information from previous year’s return caused this or what.  But I can imagine an IRS computer system tweaked quickly for stimulus refunds picking up that box and incorrectly assuming we were ineligible, even though we both answered that no one can claim us as dependents on the question asking about ourselves (the filers) rather than the question asking about our spouse.  We both used TurboTax for 2018, too. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. 

I guess I will try to file an Amended Return and hope to see something many months from now, but at this point it feels doubtful.

sarahnesjie
Returning Member

This happened to me as well, also didn't receive my stimulus check. I tried to amend my form and I STILL don't see that as an option. Did you figure out how to properly amend it? I'm really annoyed with Turbotax over this.

Hi Sarah,

Yes, it can be changed.  After selecting the amend return button and open the process, it can be changed under "personal information" or some option similar to this.  

We are both still waiting on ours getting the same message.  We'll be sending in amended returns very soon, once printed off, just in case.  Remember, amended returns cannot be e-filed and take about 4 months for the IRS to process.  😕 

I called the IRS today and they informed me this is the reason I have not received a stimulus payment and that I would have to get it on my taxes next year. The box was checked saying my spouse could be claimed as a dependent and Im not even married.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Mark - I wasn't able to get through when I tried calling a few days ago, so thanks for the confirmation.

Really unfortunate.  

Hello,

I just got off the phone with the IRS and they told me the same thing.  I never checked the box stating my spouse could be claimed as a dependent but it automatically popped up on my tax return.  There does not seem to be an option to amend this with turbo tax so I will try and contact them to see what I can do next.  This seems to be a huge glitch that is preventing me and others from receiving their stimulus payment.

How or where do I go to amend my return?

i just got off the phone with the IRS and they stated that i checked off where it says : Standard Deduction someone can claim : Your spouse as a deduction which means I get no stimulus payment. I file married file separate and never had this confusion of a question. I filed back on April 15 exactly and was wondering why no stimulus. I want to amend and can I. How do I go about this? Please help 

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

You can file an amended return by mail, but it is not likely to be processed in time to generate an economic impact payment (stimulus check) for you this year, unfortunately. 

More than likely, you will claim your payment as a credit when you file your 2020 return in 2021.  

To amend a return filed in TurboTax, log back into your account or open the program and select the option "amend a return that has been filed and accepted" and then follow the prompts.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I checked the "Someone can claim your spouse as a dependent" box in both my 2018 (married-separate) & 2019 (single) Turbo-tax filed returns. It's a REAL option, I'm looking at both returns as I am typing.

Not sure what I misinterpreted in the instructions that led me to make that mistake, it's not something I intended nor would I have any logical reason to select. My wife did not file in 2018 and my (now ex-) wife's 2019 refund is being held up because that box was checked.  

I filed a 1040X to correct the problem, BUT....

the 1040 X does NOT have the "Someone can claim your spouse as a dependent" box to leave blank!

I included an explanation of why I was filing amended in the comments section of the 1040X, but this wont be addressed for at least another 3 months!

My question, EXACTLY what part of the process did I misinterpret? It's occurred twice with disastrous results and I want to know how I messed this up, and how to avoid it in the future.  

thanks for any clarification you can provide!

@xmasbaby0 

better add this one to the open ticket for the Moderators to pass on.  Seemed to be a check mark on the 2018 return too?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies