Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

VZ13
Level 5

Anyone who updated DD info get their Stimulus check yet?

@Onlyme1234 

Private loans cud take ur refund & stimulus $. I did call TAS & left message. I checked with TOPS & the student loan doesn't reflect as a default. 

The IRS is closed so it makes it hard to get this resolved. 

Student Loans

The CARES Act - the $2 trillion financial stimulus legislation signed into law by President Donald Trump - has several benefits for student loan borrowers. The latest headlines about your student loans and Coronavirus provide economic help. Let’s make sure you’re fully informed:

1. The 3 major changes (among others) under the CARES Act are:

The changes will be made retroactive to March 13, 2020 and will continue through September 30, 2020. They only apply to federal student loans (not private student loans).

2. These changes will be made automatically.

Importantly, you don’t need to contact your student loan servicer to request suspension of your student loan payments, 0% interest, or a halt to a garnishment of wages or benefits for student loan debt cancellation. For example, you can login to your student loan servicer account and check that the interest rate has been set to 0% automatically.

3. A 0% interest rate only applies to these federal student loans

To qualify, your federal student loans must be one of these:

• Defaulted and nondefaulted Direct Loans
  • Defaulted and nondefaulted FFEL Program loans
  • Federal Perkins Loans

Most student loan borrowers with federal student loans will qualify. Some Perkins Loans and Federal Family Education Loans (FFEL) will not count. However, you may be able to consolidate these student loans to get these student loan benefits. Contact your student loan servicer to verify which student loans you have.

4. You can get a refund for any student loan payments made since March 13, 2020.

Contact your student loan servicer to request a refund. Of course, this refund is optional. If you don’t need the funds, then you can do nothing and use that payment to reduce your student loan balance. You can also request a refund for any tax refunds, wages or Social Security benefits that were garnished since March 13, 2020 for student loan debt collection. Contact the Education Department’s Default Resolution Group at [phone number removed] (TTY for the deaf or hearing-impaired [phone number removed])

VZ13
Level 5

@Samoan29  

So give me more info plz. So you called and how soon after did they get back to you? (Callback) and after that how long till the resolved ur issue? Sorry im just wondering what the hell its been 12 wks today. 

VZ13
Level 5

@DoninGA 

Theres two scenarios. One you fall in the threshold of under 10k AGI or ppl that had the dd returned during the 1st wave. 

VZ13
Level 5

@Patrick73 

Check TOP to see if ur student loan is no longer on ur ssn. Mine is not found. 

Level 2

Call your local tax advocate they work for the IRS and they will help you process your return.  I file my tax in jan due to the covid-19 there are no one at the IRS to process tax returns.  If you call them they can help you just like they did for me and they processed my return.  Hope that helps

• I am in the same boat as you are I filed my taxes March 30th said I had a refund coming of $1,195 when I go to check my refund it says it is still processing which is blocking me from getting my stimulus check because on the get my payment page it says basically it cannot determine my eligibility and it's all because of my tax refund still being processed total b******* I'm broke I need the money I even tried to enter my information on the non-filers page so they at least have my banking information for a deposit that was two weeks ago and on the get my payment page it says payment eligibility unknown if anyone can help me please let me know
  •  

They called me back within 3 days like it says  on the message. They work for the IRS  and they are tax advocate  so each each city has there own local office. From what I was told there are no agents available just them what they do is you verify some information they pull your return and if it was just in queue like mine was when they shut down the IRS.  They will go ahead and process your return and give you a case # . They will also give a day when you will get your refund.

Same here for my fiancee. I did hers on TT and finally over weekend it updated on GMP. tomorrow deposit date for our normal bank. Never using turbo tax or turbo **bleep** card again

i filed on the first of April and got my lil taxes on the 21st and my stimulus suppose to hit tomorrow so im not sure what is taking them so long hopefully they hurry up for you

VZ13
Level 5

@Pdogg1984 

Its thursdays before 12 pm est

@VZ13 

Yes, the TOP # shows the same offset I've had for years, a debt to the Department of Education. My wife files Injured Spouse every year because of that debt. Neither of our SS #'s has any other debt associated with them in the system. Since Child Support is the only offset that was allowed from the Stimulus, either A. They inadvertently took it for the Student Loans (which seems unlikely), and I'd assume I'll get it when everything is straightened out or B. They are handling the Stimulus payments for individuals who filed an Injured Spouse form differently, possibly mailing them all (which would explain why mine would be via DD, and the rest by mail, hopefully). I can't think of ANY other possible answers to explain why we received exactly half of the expected amount. 

VZ13
Level 5

@Patrick73 i agree. I believe its just a temp thing but ive been waiting and even the stimulus made me sweat lol. Im in need of money sadly. 

But last month when i checked tops the student loan was still showing. I checked today and the student loan is no longer showing. 

VZ13
Level 5

@Patrick73 

Private student loans aren't being honored just like child support. I posted somewhere about private student loans garnishing ur stimulus. 

I called TAS to see if they can help faster since IRS is still closed. No call yet but i hope soon. 

@VZ13 

Mine was Fanny Mae, but it was defaulted back to the Dept of Education long ago. All of my communications come straight from the Dept of Education now. So it isn't private anymore; plus, my understanding is that that applied to loan deferments, meaning those with private loans aren't able to get their payments waived right now, and they aren't waiving the garnishments for private loans right now either. I don't think it affects the stimulus; the IRS page is pretty clear that only Child Support will be seized. I think some states/banks are also grabbing it, whether they are supposed to or not, but we don't have any debt that would apply to. 

Either way, hopefully we'll be able to call and straighten it out soon. I spoke with someone at the IRS last week, but they had no access to the stimulus system and couldn't answer any questions about it at all. 

@VZ13 

Maybe they "lost" your student loan in all of the confusion lol. 

I know, unlikely, but you can always hope! 🙂 

VZ13
Level 5

@Patrick73 

Its my 1st yr doing this. So im so impatient & scared for this situation without money. Was hoping to fall back on this money till things got better. So im just hoping for the best soon. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies