turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlkitty

We are military, my wife got station in Maryland and I worked the whole year. Yet, I am paying Maryland state taxes in my paycheck.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

We are military, my wife got station in Maryland and I worked the whole year. Yet, I am paying Maryland state taxes in my paycheck.

You should not be paying taxes if you are only in Maryland for her military service. You are protected by the Military Spouse Residency Relief Act  (MSRRA) which means you do not need to pay state income taxes in any state where you are not a legal resident and are in only for the military.

You need to file a Maryland Non-resident tax return to get the money back and you need to notify your employer that you are protected under MSRRA and request that they stop taking Maryland taxes out.

Each state has a different form from their own Department of Revenue, so look online to find which form Maryland requires, fill it out and give to your employer with a copy of your military orders.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieH1

You should not be paying taxes if you are only in Maryland for her military service. You are protected by the Military Spouse Residency Relief Act  (MSRRA) which means you do not need to pay state income taxes in any state where you are not a legal resident and are in only for the military.

You need to file a Maryland Non-resident tax return to get the money back and you need to notify your employer that you are protected under MSRRA and request that they stop taking Maryland taxes out.

Each state has a different form from their own Department of Revenue, so look online to find which form Maryland requires, fill it out and give to your employer with a copy of your military orders.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies