Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why doesn't TurboTax ask for my military rank when I submit my W2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

TurboTax asks for rank when you enter your My Info/Personal Info data, along with your name, date of birth, and similar stuff.

Be sure to look all the way down each screen (it's laid out differently for each product) so that you don't miss TurboTax asking if you are currently serving. If you answer YES, then your rank is just one of several things that will be asked.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carbc

Hi I was able to put my rank into turbo tax, but when I went to pay it was still charging me a fee. Do you know why that is? I am filing as an E-4 so it shouldn't be because I am ineligible for free filing. 

@Carbc 

If you have NOT filed yet...go back to the W-2 that you entered.

EDIT that W-2, and on a page After the main W-2, there is a page with a whole long list of checkboxes.

In the middle of it is one you must check.....to indicate that the W-2 is for Military service.

Then the charges should go away (As long as you didn't upgrade to LIVE service).

IF the charges don't get removed that way....call Customer Support and see if they can help remove the $$.  IF they can't either, then they might give you a service code that pays for it...but that's up to them.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies