turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I put my job title/occupation on my taxes, is that my current job title or what my job was during the tax period for which I'm filing?

My current job is not the same as it was during 2020.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

When I put my job title/occupation on my taxes, is that my current job title or what my job was during the tax period for which I'm filing?

Occupation is meaningless and only asked for statistical purposes - you can enter anything.  I enter "taxpayer".

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

Thought you might find this entertaining. I have a neighbor down the street who is a retired CPA. He told me about some of the things he's entered into the "occupation" box for clients in the past, and the IRS has never even so much as batted an eyelash.

Occupation                       Real Job

Mass Murderer           Pest Exterminator

Human Trafficker       Modeling Agent

Serial Killer                  Pest Exterminator

Drug Dealer                Pharmacy Technician

Car Jacker                  Worked for an automobile repossession company

Hijacker                       Aircraft Reposessor

Money Launderer        This guy worked at the U.S. Mint. His job was to wash newly minted coins.

Terrorist Eradicator     Navy Seal

Computer Hacker       Guy worked for the CIA or some other intel agency.  – nuff said.

I've been told that overall, the IRS could really care less how you get your money - so long as you pay your taxes on it.

TT also uses this to ask appropriate follow up questions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies